Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Oooh. Shiny.

I've said it before, but I love makeup. Makeup makes me happy.

The shimmer of powders, the sheen of creams, even the pure translucence of a simple moisturizer all bring a smile to my face. I love seeing pans, sticks, tubes, mounds of color in such varying depths and intensities that the rainbow pales in comparison.

In terms of providing comfort, chocolate is a distant second to the rapture that takes place once the waxy smell of a richly pigmented lipstick wafts into my brain.

It's one of the reasons I wouldn't hesitate to call myself shallow, really, but there you go.

If there's one benefit from such single-minded devotion, it's that people always know what to get you for your birthday. No one ever hesitates in helping to append my ever-increasing collection.

This birthday was, fortunately, no different. Deception and the sadistic desire to see me turn into a mess filled with both guilt for cosmetic greed and a gnawing desire to get my paws on more pigment aside, my mother is pretty much awesome for getting me this:

IMG_0969
Benefit's Stay Put Set and Beauty Bestsellers


Commence gushing over the gorgeousness that is the packaging. Teeny tiny Benefit bestsellers? For $10? Brilliant, and absolutely adorable.

I'm currently loving the Erase Paste, which comes in the shade Medium. The Stay Don't Stray Primer is also commendable and, from the looks of things, may help any eyeshadow survive the Apocalypse. The little vial of Posietint has also proven itself to be the most gorgeous shade of pink for both cheeks and lips, and surprisingly, despite my initial misgivings, That Gal primer is slowly worming its pretty, scented self into my morning routine.

I may provide swatches soon, just for kicks.

High Beam is High Beam in that it makes you look ethereal and pretty. However, I have yet to try Some Kind-A Gorgeous, and I'm a bit "Meh," with the Creaseless Cream Shadow/Liner (in R.S.V.P.). The latter is way too light to ever be considered as a liner, and the formulation's a bit dry. Very pretty color though.

Speaking of pretty colors, the powers that be have decided to temper my bliss with an absolute tragedy:

IMG_1031


This color was beautiful. It's Mary Kay's Suede, which I discovered was discontinued, recently replaced by Amber Suede, which is a totally different thing, people. I know Bobbi Brown says that if a color you love is discontinued it means you're living in the past and you have to deal, woman, but on this point, I'll have to disagree with the queen of natural makeup. Suede was a plummy, browned red that worked with everything and didn't even have to be worn with natural makeup. You could slap black on your eyes and it still worked. Yes, I've tried.

I think I may have to do some lipstick surgery, and I'm already out of sample jars.

And while we're talking about makeup and all things ephemeral, I'm throwing this question out to the universe: Why is MAC's Face and Body foundation, a water-based bit of genius that seems made for the humid tropics, unavailable in the Philippines?

mac face and body


Think about it, MAC. Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment